Assignment 1

Prior to watching Troy, I spent a good deal of time considering exactly what I should watch for this assignment. I don’t own a television and consequently don’t watch much by way of television programming. I suppose this speaks to my cynical and, at times, skeptical nature. I don’t care much for any form of “popular’ programming. Over the course of human history there are followers, leaders, and those who opt for a path less traveled. In many cases I fall into the latter branch as a matter of default.

As to what was on my mind aside from the selection of programming, I can’t speak of much. This is likely owing to the fact that my sleep schedule has been off as of late as well as to the fact that I woke late, and am writing this within a couple of hours of waking up. Typically I avoid much interaction with the world until I feel fully awake and as such there just really isn’t much on my mind at this point. On the back-burner there are, of course, any number of considerations.

Lingering beyond my sleep induced stupor, I’m sure I’ve been considering current events such as the civil war in Syria, the release of the new iPhone, the mudslides in India, and any other number of issues and topics. There are also a host of personal considerations at work beneath the immediate layer of consciousness to include the condition of relatives suffering from health issues, bills, and other elements of the daily struggle we call life.

As noted above I settled on the film Troy, which may have been a bad choice for this assignment as I’ve seen it any number of times and it seems that its expected that we should’ve chosen something that was going to have some noticeable or measurable impact on our personal status or world views.

Despite having seen the film any number of times previously, a specific scene did stand out with some unusual clarity. In that scene, Paris, youngest son of Priam hands the “Sword of Troy’ to a passerby in the tunnels beneath the city of Troy as the Greeks are razing it and in doing so indicates the possibility of a future that wasn’t to be: “As long as it remains in the hands of a Trojan, our people have a future.’

Given the audience knowledge of the lack of Troy’s future, this struck me as a fairly thin plot device to induce an even greater element of tragedy. Simultaneously, with the Trojans in the position of losing a war brought on as a result of love and jealousy, it seemed a tip of the hat to the underdog, so to speak. Given the tendency of many of my fellow Americans to root for the underdog, it also seemed like it might have been bolted on purely to add an element of hope to a hopeless situation. The story of Troy is not one of happy endings and popular media tends to demand exactly such. I was left wondering if this was a bit of artistic license or if indeed it was part and parcel of the legends of the city of Troy. In short, I’ve some research to attend to.