Week 5 – Sjordal

Honeycrisps’s product would result in more viewership for some programs and less for others. If the product worked as advertised, it would probably mean people would watch more TV. After a few months, television broadcasters would probably review the data, and many would change their programming to be more like the shows that are getting the most views. After a year or so, genres of shows that didn’t get many views could start disappearing.  After a few years, the product would be commonplace and all the flaws would be worked out. Soon, everyone with a TV set would have one. Eventually, this could replace the traditional ratings system as the dominant means of deciding whether a show should be picked up, extended, or canceled.

Most people watch TV to be entertained, and the product would reflect such views. This could cause a decrease in the number of informational or educational   television shows. It might lead to decreased viewership of live TV. Viewers could figure out what shows they want to watch, record them via TIVO, and watch them later.

`                     People could switch to something else they know they’d enjoy during commercials. Possibly, nobody would watch any advertisements due to this. If that happened, it could lead to a change in advertisement strategy, a change in the Honeycrisp device, or a change in regulations regarding television advertisements, depending on how big of an issue this is.

In addition to all this, there’s also the internet. It seems to me that less people than ever are paying for expensive cable packages because they can just watch the shows they want online through services like Hulu or Netflix, or through less than legitimate pathways like piracy. Would the Honeycrisp device reanimate the dying cable TV industry? If the device worked, then I think it would, but only to a certain extent and only for a limited amount of time. People might use the Honeycrisp to figure out what shows they enjoythen cancel their television services because now that they know what they want, they don’t need the product anymore.

What if someone decided to use his or her personal Honeycrisp product as a source of income? People who don’t buy cable could come in and pay to use this persons’ Honeycrisp device for a limited amount of time, find out what shows they enjoy, and never actually pay Honeycrisp or a cable company for anything. This seems like a pretty major loophole in Honeycrisps’ plan of business. They can’t just sell these things to single households like they can a TIVO box. A person could just go use a friend’s honeycrisp and get all the knowledge they need without ever having to pay.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that there are a ton of ways Honeycrisp could get screwed over. Maybe they’d eventually pull the original devices off the market in favor of a Honeycrisp device 2.0 that only allows the buyer to use it. And then, what happens to the originals? Do they skyrocket in price? Do they become a valuable commodity? Or could Honeycrisp just require mandatory software updates to the original machines, disallowing anyone but the buyer to use it? And even then, what about hackers? I doubt it would take somebody too long to crack the honeycrisp so anyone could use it again. And how long would it take humanity to do any of that? Some people crack devices just to see if they can. If anything, in the end, I think the device would cause more harm than good for Honeycrisp. There are countless ways they could lose a great deal of money from this device, and perhaps even eventually go out of business, ruined by their own creation.

In all honesty, I’m really not sure what would happen. I don’t even think people who work in the television and movie industry would be able to accurately predict what this would mean for the future of TV. It sounds a bit too good to be true, and it seems like it’d be idealistic to think that people wouldn’t take advantage of its features at the eventual cost of the collapse what they probably see as just another faceless corporation.