Week 1: How Mass Media Has Influenced Myself and Those Around Me

It seems that every year, a new, faster version of media is available. Whether it be political videos on YouTube, instant updates on the local news channel, or ephemeral, seven-second photos on Snapchat, information is being thrown at us from every direction and at an ever-increasing frequency. Although this information is easily accessible and spontaneous, I have seen a very common repercussion – impatience. We live in a world of short-lived sound bytes where we receive information that is both instant and to the point. No more waiting around or even having to read an entire article, just search key words. This has produced in us a feeling of entitlement of sorts, where, if we cannot obtain the information within a matter of a few minutes, it is not worth our time. Ever have to wait for your online video to buffer? It only takes five, maybe fifteen seconds at the most, yet we usually find ourselves clicking the refresh button before then. Every little “entitlement’ we feel should be ours in media works itself into our everyday lives as well. Transactions, cell service, and microwavable foods are just a few examples. I do, however, believe the utility gained from having instant informational access outweighs this, but it is a common problem I have noticed.