Week 1: Leia Fuson

I can remember the exact moment I stopped spreading hate about the television show, My Little Pony. Walking up to my group second day of new student orientation, I saw a very handsome man in blue, about my age, sitting in the corner on a chair with a Pinkie Pie messenger bag on the floor next to him. My first thoughts were something along the lines of, “Oh my god, what a loser”. With a sigh, I pulled out my phone and typed up a quick text to a friend of mine, who just so happened to be sitting right across small the circle of students, asking if she could get “Brony’s” number for me.

Later that day, I found myself laying on my bed with Netflix open on one tab and Tumblr open on another. I was almost immediately amused by the jokes that the animated, colorful ponies continuously made. Almost immediately, I started to make connections with friends of mine’s attitudes and the attitudes that the ponies held. Pinkie Pie reminded me of a very hyper friend of mine from grade school. Rainbow Dash was the pony version of my brother’s best friend. Flutter Shy reminded me of myself, in the sense of loving all animals. Rarity is exactly like my aunts. Apple Jack and Twilight Sparkle’s attitude’s both resemble one of ┬ámy grandfathers.

That very morning, I had posted a status on Facebook complaining about how adults watching a child’s show was rather idiotic. I now find myself, more often than not, looking at posts of My Little Pony on Tumblr, watching the actual show on Netflix, or drawing the ponies on scratch paper. I have three out of the six ponies taped to my wall above my bed and an eraser with Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, and Rainbow Dash printed on it in my pencil bag.

As much as I hate to admit it, I have fallen in love with the adorable little ponies. I find myself clicking the “Play Next Episode” button and waiting to see what trouble Twilight Princess and her friends will find themselves in this time. No matter how hard I try, however, I cannot bring myself to enjoy the theme song. No matter how many episodes you watch, that intro song will never not be obnoxious.

The effect of the media has not and will probably never ceases to astound me. Whether it be a social media site, a television show, or a news article, the people who work in media know how to grasp their audience. There is always that one hook that keeps you coming back for more. No matter how much you want to hate a certain show or article, if it has a good hook you are likely going to come running back to it for more.