Angela Carley Week One Discussion

My name is Angela Carley. I am a North Pole resident now, having moved very recently from Fox (hence my delayed entry). I am a 50 year old, single mother of a 9 year old boy named George. I am a disabled veteran of the U.S. Army (Airborne-Medic) and Home School Teacher to my son. I seek an understanding of journalism not for a degree or a job, but because I believe a free press is vital to a free society. Both of which are dwindling fast in my opinion. Big corporations are swallowing our voice and spoon feeding us the substance of their choice.
I want to understand the media, because right now it feels like the enemy and I want to guard myself against it, but it doesn’t have to be that way. This is a time of individual expression, but if everyone is talking, then who is listening? And is the media telling everyone what to say? I see the door on free speech closing rapidly. I suppose I am trying to stick my foot in.
I am no longer a Facebook user, as I came to realize how much of my life was revolving around how my thoughts and feelings should be conveyed on said media. Removing this aspect of my life has been liberating and I feel good things have come from it, but often I feel I am out of touch with community events that I might otherwise attend.
I enjoy a very simple life, free from as much media as I can get away from, so it is rather odd that I would want to study Journalism. But at this stage in my life, with my son pretty self reliant, I am longing to participate more in the wheels and cogs of how things work, and where it’s all headed. Perhaps having come from a simpler time, I might help bring perspective to those who have known nothing else.
I want to be a part of bringing the over-grown establishment down and putting sovereign rights back to the people.