Week Three: Jasmine Dierenfield

The Haveman Chronicle has seen significant struggles in the world of magazine mass media. Up for debate is the idea of demassification – yes or no? There are drawbacks. The range of audience would decrease, not necessarily meaning loss of profit or circulation however. With a specific audience target, we could potentially engage readers at a larger rate than current numbers show. In fact, after WWII, the magazine media saw significant success focusing on a specific audience target. According to our text, “the industry had hit on the secret of success: specialization and a lifestyle orientation” (104). History, therefore, supports demassification for the success of magazines.

One major drawback is the amount of control that advertisers can gain over the editorial staff at a magazine. Having advertisements in specialized or demassified magazines can help make the magazine even more successful, affordable, and obtainable by the target population. However, advertisers attempt to exert influence over content (115). The magazine is expected to satisfy not only the readers, but also the advertisers. So what happens when the advertiser wants to have a huge say in not only the placement of their ads, but also the presence of other ads and content of the magazine? There is a power struggle present, one that can alter the entire state of being of the magazine.

Specialization could prove quite fruitful for our magazine business, but I have to wonder if it’d be worth it. The mass media business is incredibly competitive, and it might be hard to not buckle under the pressure of advertisers to bend to their wishes. I think it would be wise to put effort and focus into other aspects of our company. I would hate to see the magazine be trapped into an ad-pull policy, which is “the demand for an advance review of a magazine’s content, with the threat of pulled advertising if dissatisfied with that content” (116). The stress of dealing with these issues could not only cause set backs in the magazine front, but also could pull attention, potential, and effort away from the rest of the mass media used by the Haveman.