Week #3: Tania Winston

The historical figure I believe the Smithsonian should include for their exhibit is none other than, in my opinion, the greatest singer of all time, Freddie Mercury. Freddie Mercury was the lead singer for the Classic Rock band, “Queen,’ which also happens to be my all-time favorite rock band. His insanely-ridiculous four range octave was phenomenal and as a kid, I remember sitting in the back of my parents’ car with my brother and sister, trying to match tones and notes as we sang along to “Bohemian Rhapsody.’ His voice is still recognizable today, 23 years after his death. Any sports game you go to will play “We will rock you’ and “We are the Champions’ as one of the crowd’s hype anthems. “Another One Bites the Dust’ has that distinct beat paired with his vocals and just makes anyone want to rock up and down. And who could forget the ever popular “Highlander’ movie soundtracks, which would carry on to the TV Series. “Flash Gordon’ movie soundtrack, recently reintroduced to the mass media 31 years after its original debut in 2011, could be heard on the 2012 movie blockbuster, TED. His voice and song lyrics had such an impact in the past four decades, the original Queen band members have only recently found a singer that could, for the majority, fill Freddie’s shoes. Though Adam Lambert has an amazing vocal range and has a vibrant stage presence, he is no Freddie Mercury. To see images of past videos and concerts, Freddie in black and white leotards and Liberace inspired costumes, he’s at the top the charts for flamboyance in the Rock and Roll Era. For the Smithsonian to miss out on a chance to include this great and extraordinary media music figure would be a shame, for he is one of the “Princes of the Universe,’ and I have “A Crazy Little Thing Called Love’ for him.