Week 3 (repost): Nolan Cady

Almost everywhere I go, there is always someone in my general vicinity that is either worried about, or is talking about the economy. “The economy is failing,’ they’ll say, “Just wait for the crash,’ or, “Our economic security is perfectly fine. In fact, it’s becoming stronger every day.’ Being that subject affect both the individuals of this nation and a country as a whole, I have nominated Milton Friedman for the Smithsonian’s Exhibit — a man whose life was the overriding voice for economic issues. Friedman had many notable accomplishments including the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and the National Medal of Science for Behavior and Social Sciences. In conjunction with these awards, Friedman published many notable works about free-market economics and monetary theory including Capitalism and Freedom, A Monetary History of the United States, and the Theory of the Consumption Function and was featured multiple times on PBS’s Commanding Heights television series. Friedman was also the Economic Advisor for U.S. President, Ronald Reagan and a professor at the University of Chicago’s Economics Department.

Now, when most people think of significant faces of mass media, reflections of news anchors and talk-show hosts predominately emerge. Not so much for an economics professor. Milton Friedman, however, is more than that. Through his teachings, television experiences, and lectures across the country, Friedman not only taught economics to thousands, and perhaps millions, of people, but taught principles of liberty — defining the root causes of problems that plague society and explain root solutions. He could technically be labeled as one of America’s most influential mass media figures. His instructions made (and still make) people from around the world free. Whether or not their situations have to do with economics, the same principles can be applied everywhere. Because of this, the libertarian CATO Institute named their biannual “Milton Friedman Prize for Advancing Liberty’ after him. All this combined, I believe, sets a beautiful case as to why Milton Friedman should be put into the Smithsonian Exhibit.