Assignment 13: Nolan Cady

So I was eating breakfast this morning when my phone rang out of nowhere. Scared the crap out of me and I about choked on the bite of toast that happened get lodged in my throat. I didn’t normally receive calls that early in the morning, so I rushed over to get it (while simultaneously giving myself the Heimlich maneuver) in case it was important. Well turned out it wasn’t important, nor worth nearly dying for, because I was answered on the other end by one of my old semi-acquaintance-friends from high school. “Oh, hey Nolan! This is Abby, you know, from high school. What’s up,” she asked? “My toast, finally…,” I responded amidst wheezing coughs. “Oh cool,” she carelessly answered, “so I heard you were coming down here to San Diego in a month and I was wondering if you wanted to maybe meet up?” During her sentence, I was drinking a glass of water to try and wash down any remaining bits of toast. When I heard her ask me that, I spewed it all back out again because this was the same crazy Abby who had creepily and devotedly followed me around all during high school. The last thing I wanted to do down in San Diego was relive my Secondary School suffering. What was even weirder was how she found out about my trip. I was not friends with her on social media, but one of my friends tagged me in a photo and their friend re-posted it on their wall, where it was then commented on by multiple people. It just so happened that one of the people commenting was a friend of Abby and she saw it from there. You can start to see just how unfortunate my luck had been and how my privacy was more or less compromised.

This got me to thinking about how the mass media would evolve in the 22nd Century and how privacy would be such an issue. It’s already a hot topic and if you go onto the NSA website, they tell you exactly what information is stored – it’s appalling. This is not a rant on the NSA (for any agents who might happen to see this the moment I post it) or the government, and it is not a conspiracy theory. It’s just a concern of mine based on provable events that have already happened. It is already hard to keep anything private, and the future only looks more connected.

Just like how magazine companies are going purely digital and how newspapers are printing less, each medium will be become more and more like another, buying each other out, until they simply make up one, huge conglomerate medium that is able to cover anything and provide everything. This is better for the public because it makes everything easier and with less hassle, right? I don’t really think so. The problem with this is that whoever owns it, will also own a very decisive influence on the public. Whether it be a private corporation or the government itself, there will only be one view/angle and zero competition. Will this actually happen? No idea. It may be an extreme, but it is definitely something to think about and actively fight against.