Week 6|Assignment 7|Kevin May

Kevin May

JRN 101

7/15/15

“Good morning listeners, thanks for tuning in with your neurocomputer chips. We have some exciting programs for you today as you relax and unwind on your way to work. Make sure your ocular lenses are tuned and get ready for what you need to hear today!’

“Scientists around the world hail the invention of neurocomputer implants as the greatest invention of the late 21st century. By combining the neural plasticity of the brain with the task oriented processing power of the computer we have created a synergy that is unparalleled in nature said James May, chief scientist and historian on human interface devices.’

“The pioneering engine behind this mammoth technology can be traced to increasing automation of complex human tasks. It wasn’t the first time people have embedded circuitry into their body to improve their lives. In the mid 2050’s, our people were implanting small computers in organs to regulate and improve function. However, mating complex circuitry to a complex neural system and interfacing it seamlessly proved untenable for decades.’

“The breakthrough occurred near the end of the 21st century. Basic models were utilized first in government institutions, like military pilots and Special Forces and specialized industries. However, like the personal computer of the late 20th century, entrepreneurs found ways to make this technology irresistible to consumers. In the twilight hours of the 21st century, it was common to see most citizens embedded with their own N.C. chip matrix.’

“Intellect has increased tenfold in our people because of this stunning change in our species. Some of course debate the ethical nature of standardized implants in children now. That brings us to today’s program, is it ethical to force the implantation of computers into children? Here today is neuroscientist and neuroengineer James Kirk.’

In my opinion, I see technology becoming rapidly linked to us in more physical ways than what we are imagining now. Across the ocean in Japan and South Korea, there is multi-million dollar research in mating advanced circuitry with the body. Who is to say that in the future we don’t have HUD lenses and a computer that interfaces between it and the brain? To be honest that is not even science fiction as DARPA and other firms are actively researching it. All you need then is a powerful antennae to beam a signal and a receiver to pick it up. Miniaturization offers us that opportunity in the future. I think we will have computers embedded in us soon enough that will take the place of our phone, laptop, and T.V. When that happens, I could see the evolution of mass media to be direct interface with the brain from a signal emitted and translated by a computer embedded somewhere in the brain. To sum that up, it is quite like the Japanese anime Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.